About Jump Start Foundation - Our Organisation History
It all began in 1990 when Heidi Dening, the founder of Jump Start Foundation, taught in a secondary school in Port Vila. Heidi instantly fell in love with the country and the people of Vanuatu, and felt a great affinity with their family values, community support and joyful nature. Heidi was continually amazed and impressed with the teachers who were able to conduct excellent lessons with limited resources, and also with the students, who even though sometimes broke their pencils into three so there was enough to go around, would still turn up to class full of enthusiasm and an infectious willingness to learn. This taught her so much, both personally and professionally.
JSF is a small, volunteer Foundation, that is passionate about supporting local community projects that larger organisations often overlook. JSF believes that everyone deserves to be educated and treated equally and that education empowers people to improve socio-economic conditions for their families, communities, countries and future generations.
In 2017, JSF partnered with Co-Ground, a like-minded not-for-profit organisation which is passionate about education and empowering communities in Vanuatu. JSF and Co-Ground will work together to make a huge impact with community-driven projects.
For more information visit Co-Ground.
We have directly given a hand up (not a hand out) to over 1700 children, teachers and local businesses. This has been achieved by providing more than 200 kilos of literacy resources, stationery, reading books, empowerment workshops, local employment, plus sport and travel sponsorships.
- Building a library at Isangel Central Primary School on Tanna.
- Choosing, paying for and transporting over 1000 new library books to replace those destroyed by Cyclone Pam,
- Supplying dozens of protective storage tubs to store all the library books prior to the upcoming cyclone season.
- Supplying 220 literacy packs with pictorial dictionaries, workbooks, and stationery items such as pens, pencils, glue, rulers, erasers and much, much more, to replace what the students lost.
- We supplied 9 big boxes of stationery and resoucres for the teachers.
Our Life-Changing Projects
Our life changing projects are focused on literacy, equality and empowerment. This includes support with vital educational infrastructure such as libraries, resources, culturally appropriate books, education and local staff training and employment.
The purpose of Jump Start Foundation is to provide the following on a charitable basis:
- To improve the quality of life for those who do not have fair or equal educational opportunities.
- To provide and promote education in communities within the Asia / Pacific region.
- To foster a climate of mutual respect between Jump Start Foundation and its beneficiaries.
- To develop and encourage reciprocal ‘international connectedness’ between those who can help and those who need help.
- To consistently monitor and evaluate all projects on a regular basis.
- To do all such things and carry out all such other activities as may be necessary incidental or conducive to the attainment of the charitable purposes of the Foundation.
- To creatively develop an organisation that values its staff, volunteers and members and promotes a flexible and fulfilling environment in which to carry out its activities.
- To raise funds for the above purposes.
The Jump Start Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.